Electrical Hazards Cause Fires

Fires due to electrical causes in our homes, cause the death of thousands of people each year and wounds to many others worldwide.

In some cases, fires are caused by faults in the electrical system and by defects in electrical appliances. However, many more are caused by the misuse and neglect of electrical appliances, the improper installation of cables and the overload of circuits and extension cables.

In a current year, domestic electrical problems cause 90,000 fires, more than 700 deaths, and 700 million dollars in property losses. The electrical wiring of homes causes twice as many fires as those caused by electrical appliances.

Fire death is highest in winter months when activities are indoors and the use of lighting, heating and appliances increases. Most fires caused by electric cables start in the bedroom.

The following are the causes that generate a fire due to electrical faults and some simple steps that can be taken to avoid the loss of lives and property in fires caused by electrical faults. Whenever you face issue contact a local electrician here.


Most fires due to electrical causes result from problems with fixed wiring, defective plugs and old cables.

Problems with cables and plugs, and with extension cords and appliances, also cause a lot of fires.

Many fires caused by electrical causes that can be avoided are due to the misuse of electrical cables and circuit overload.


The household appliances that most often cause fires due to electrical causes are ovens, dryers, central heating units, television, radios and turntables.


  • Check electrical appliances and house wiring frequently.
  • Immediately replace all wiring for electrical appliances that are worn, old, or damaged.
  • Use the extension cords carefully and do not overload them. In this case, when disconnecting the devices, it must be done by holding directly from the plug and never pull the cable.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors; Be careful with the electrical appliances in the bathrooms and the kitchen.
  • Ask for products approved by the current safety standard, as these are tested in laboratories specialized in electrical safety.
  • Do not allow children to play with, or near, electrical appliances such as space heaters, irons, and hair dryers.
  • Keep clothing, curtains and other potentially combustible items at least one meter away from heating appliances.
  • Use only one contact with ground terminal for electrical appliances that have plugs that require this terminal.


Do not overload extension cords or wall contacts. Turn off immediately and switch light switches that are hot to the touch with a professional, and change the spotlights whose lights behave intermittently. Use contacts with childproof safety system and ground protection.

Check your power tools regularly to see if they are in good condition. If the cables are worn or cracked, they should be replaced, as well as any tool that causes electric shock, that is hot, interrupted or generates smoke or sparks. If you see bad workmanship, make sure you report it to the right Electrical body